Laboratory research presupposes the implementation and analysis of the particular research, which yields results by means of practical research methods and experimentation in the specifically designed and equipped facility, called a laboratory. In general, the essence of a laboratory practicum lies in thorough examination of different phenomena and laws applying previous scientific experience and theoretical knowledge.
Any lab research is comprised of the following procedures:
- making theoretical calculations;
- obtaining experimental data;
- summarizing and analyzing the acquired results in the form of a report.
How to Write a Lab Report for College
If you are assigned a lab report for the first time, you are probably stressed out, because it is a no mean task that requires much time and efforts to ace it. If you have friends who are assigned the same thing, you are in luck since you can collaborate and help each other out. Even if you are unversed in how to do a lab report
, your innate brilliance and info found on the Internet will enable you to complete the assignment correctly and timely. Also, you can reach out to your professor and ask him to provide you with some templates so that you could at least have an insight into the formatting of this type of writing.
When there is no one to turn to and the deadline is looming on the horizon, review the tips that we have prepared for students to make the experience of writing a lab report more interesting and easier. First and foremost, let’s have a look at the proper structure of lab reports.
- Title page includes the title of the report as well as other necessary info;
- At the very beginning, the author defines the aim of the paper and describes the physical phenomenon under consideration. Usually, this section is called an abstract that contains a brief summary of the entire work. Sometimes, the equipment, methods, and materials utilized for the fulfillment of the research are also mentioned in the abstract.
- The abstract is followed by an introductory paragraph where the main point of the research is stated.
- All results and measurements from the laboratory register go to the corresponding tables that are immediately followed by a rubric.
- Depending on the field of knowledge and the purpose of the lab research, the section with calculations includes formulas, figures, and the applied methods of measurement, as well as the evaluation of the role of those factors in the direction of the research. Formulas should be followed by interpretation and subsequent calculations made by means of actual numerical data.
- Infographics that influence the course of the study and are relevant to the object of the research should be placed as an appendix if they are not included in the main part of the paper.
- The concluding part revolves around conclusions with regard to all obtained findings and their explanation on the basis of theoretical knowledge.
- The report should be formatted according to the standard requirements of your school/college/university. Frequently, they provide their own templates that students have to utilize while writing a report.
It is recommended to review an exemplary sample of a lab report online, especially if you are planning on completing this assignment with flying colors. This way, you will know for sure how the final version of this type of writing should look like. If you think your choice of the topic is specific enough to influence the way your work is structured, you should definitely search for some examples. This way, you will not need to do additional reading and then toil at rewriting; also you will learn how to write lab reports to suit particular standards. In case you question the quality of the sample you have come across, ask your professor whether it will be ok to stick to the same structure as in the example.
Some other constructive pieces of advice to take into account include:
- Make sure that the flow of information you present is logical and comprehensible;
- Get rid of ambiguity (it particularly concerns pronouns and progression);
- The tone of writing should be neutral; avoid the narration in first person;
- Underline all scientific titles;
- Adhere to the metric system when mentioning measurements;
- Spell out numbers less than 10
- Ask someone who is knowledgeable about the subject you investigate to read your paper and give feedback on it;
The info outlined above should be enough for the successful completion of this type of written assignments. Remember that lab reports do not like procrastination as there are many stages of research that need to be conducted incrementally and with extra attention especially if many calculations are involved. It is crucial to submit a lab report of an excellent quality because the grade you will get for it will affect your general academic performance.
If you are in a tight spot and you need to submit a lab report in a couple of days, you can use the assistance of the Pro-Papers.com and stay out of trouble with our outstanding writing services. You can rest assured, because every order you place is taken by professional writers that do their best to deliver an impeccable paper. They write papers according to the requirements provided or proofread them and suggest all possible ways of improving the paper in case yours needs editing. You can also cooperate with the writer who is responsible for your assignment and let him/her know about additional instructions or corrections via chat. Thus, whenever you have a hard time nailing any type of written assignment, place an order on the Pro-Papers.com and be sure to get a paper that stands out.